By special arrangement with the Family History Library (FHL) in Salt Lake City, Utah, Champaign County Library users are able to borrow genealogy microfilm and microfiche from the FHL's vast collection.
• Champaign County Library patrons are charged $7.50 for each individual microfilm reel borrowed from the Family History Library.
• A maximum of three microfilms may be on order for an individual patron at one time.
• Microfilms must be used at the Champaign County Library.
• Microfilms are available to patrons during library hours for a 60-day period. Renewals are available for an additional fee.
Creating an Account
In order to place an order you must have a FamilySearch Account.
Step 1: Go to familysearch.org/films
Step 2: Click on Sign In
Step 3: Click on the Create New Account link
Step 4: Choose the type of account you want to create.
Note: FamilySearch Accounts are for the general public. LDS Accounts are for members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Step 5: Enter information as prompted.
- Personal information
- Log-in information
- E-mail address
- Security key
Note: Though the e-mail address is not a required field, it is required to use Online Film Ordering. When entering a password, enter 6 or more characters. You may only create one account per email address.
Step 6: Confirm your account by going to your e-mail, finding the email from FamilySearch Account, and clicking the confirmation link.
Select a Default Family History Center
When films are ordered online they are shipped to your nearest family history center. Below are the steps to follow to set your default family history center. Default centers are saved and used for all future orders.
Step 1: Go to http://familysearch.org/films.
Step 2: Click the Sign In link, and sign in using your FamilySearch User Name
and Password Note: Your first visit to Microfilm Ordering will prompt a window asking you to “select the family history center closest to you.
Step 3: Click the select the family history center link
Step 4: Click the Find New FHC button, or Change Family History Center link
Step 5: Select your country and Region from the drop down menus
Step 6: Click Search
Step 7: Select your default family history center by clicking the button to the left of you center
Step 8: Click Save
Creating an Order
After the patron has created his or her account, he or she can order microfilm on loan and have them shipped to his or her local family history center.
Step 1: After you have signed in, enter the film number for the film you want to
Step 2: Click Search.
Step 3: Select the loan option you want by clicking the button to the left
Step 4: Using the drop down menu on the right, select the currency you will use.
Step 5: Click Add to Cart
Step 6: Click the Proceed to Checkout button
Note: From the shopping cart, individuals may perform the following actions when placing their order:
- Remove items
- Continue shopping
- Update Shopping Cart
- Proceed to Checkout
Step 7: Enter your billing information
Step 8: Click Continue
Step 9: Select payment information. Accepted forms of payment MasterCard, Visa and PayPal.
Step 10: Click Continue
Step 11: Read the Microfilm Use Agreement and click to Accept the terms.
Step 12: Place the order
Step 13: Complete the payment information.
Step 14: Click on Place Order
You may want to print out a copy of your order for your files. You will receive an email confirmation of your order.
Once Your Microfilm Has Arrived
• You will be contacted by the Family History Library when your microfilm has arrived. It usually takes 2 weeks for delivery. The loan period is 60 days.
• Please ask for your microfilm at the reference desk. Microfilm must be returned to the reference desk when you are completed for the day and must not leave the library.
• The film will automatically be returned after 90 days. If you wish to renew the item, you must renew the microfilm online through the Family History Library and pay the additional fee of $7.50 per reel.
• In some cases, contractual and copyright restrictions apply to the use of Family History Library microfilms. Patrons are expected to comply with any such restrictions.